Today I’m going to share my top 10 must-have crystals.
Whether you’re a beginner or you’re intermediate or advanced, just check-in and see if you have these in your collection. Maybe you are missing one or two? It’s not the end-all-be-all for everyone, this is my opinion, so I’d love to hear what your top 10 must-have crystals are; please share in the comments below this post.
10 Must-Have Crystals
These might not necessarily be the easiest crystals to get because I don’t always feel like the easiest crystals to get are going to be the most effective for what we’re trying to achieve in our must-have crystal collection. Maybe it’s time to evolve your collection or upgrade your collection a little bit. Most of them are relatively easy to find, but a slight departure from the usual beginner’s list.
By the way, I want to say these crystals that I’m going over, I’m not talking about little-tumbled stones. Tumbled stones are wonderful (and I show you vesuvianite in the video). Great to have, but when I’m talking about 10 must-have crystals, I’m talking about something a little bit chunkier, a little bit more size to them because yes, when it comes to the energy force around a crystal, the energy around it is based on size, the mass in the crystal, all these factors. We’re going with a larger size. Not super large though we are staying practical here.
I’m not talking about huge, mongo crystals because what are you going to do with it? They’re great to have in your environment, yes, but sometimes we need them for practical purposes, so something a little larger than the norm, but not mongo. If at all possible, in its natural state, but sometimes it’s not possible.
1. Clear Quartz Crystal: In my vid, I show you a clear quartz, natural point. It’s got really good clarity. It’s almost water clear. Clear quartz is your general, all-around great crystal to have on hand. It’s a clarifier. It’s an amplifier, as well. It can make any other crystal work that you’re doing even more effective by amplifying the energy. It can also help you gain clarity like if you need to meditate on something, you need clarity around a certain subject. Clear quartz is a great one to have. You can do just about anything with clear quartz.
If I was going to have only one crystal on this list, it would be clear quartz. Not milky quartz. You want to try to get it as clear as you possibly can. It’s okay to have some veils in it. The clear quartz crystal I show you in my video is just about as clear as they come. It’s from Arkansas, I believe, and what’s cool is it’s starting to self-heal on the bottom. It broke off at some point obviously, but it’s not very sharp. It’s kind of rounded and a lot of these have grown into points. You can see that hexagonal structure all along its faces, really cool.
2. Rose Quartz: It’s a light pink. You usually don’t see them in points like the one in the video. That one was cut and polished, cut on the bottom so it could stand. It’s rough all around the shaft, but the top is cut and polished into a point. The reason I went for the cut polished one is that I needed it in a crystal grid and I wanted a center antenna to send out, transmit the energies of my crystal grid, so I went for a point. Usually, my rose quartz is natural and I just use this during this because it’s larger and you can see it better, I have a big, mongo-sized rose quartz by my front door.
Rose quartz is your crystal of love and compassion. It can become your close buddy crystal that you make a really close bond with (like I have). I have one by my bedside. I talk about it all the time. It’s my buddy quartz. It’s my best buddy. I use it for a lot of different things, any kind of love, and we know there are different kinds of love in the English language. We should probably have different vocabulary words for the different kinds of love, but there’s friendship love. There’s family love. There’s personal relationship love. There’s self-love. There’s compassion for the world and for all the beings that live on the planet. Kindness and compassion are also the energy that rose quartz invites in. All of these different types of love obviously are very, very important, so rose quartz is one that you definitely want to have in your top 10 collections, in my opinion.
3. Flourite: Fluorite comes in many different colors, purple, clear, green, every color in the rainbow just about. Yellow is not as common, but it does come in yellow. Rainbow Flourite usually grows in masses or in the octahedron. It grows naturally as an octahedron expressing its sacred geometry. It’s part of the cubic crystal system, so octahedrons are inherent in the cubic crystal system.
Why do I like fluorite? Well, fluorite is great for decision-making, for clarifying decisions when you’re just not sure which path to take. Fluorite is the one to work with on that.
It’s also good for anything to do with thinking, the mind, meta, studying. That’s another good type of energy that fluorite invites in. If you need to focus on something, concentrate on something, make a decision, fluorite is your go-to for that and any color fluorite will do. It doesn’t matter what color fluorite you choose for that.
4. Green Jade: Green jade I really like for healing, also bringing about good fortune. I have a nice big green jade Hotei (I found out). Everyone calls it Buddha, but I was told no, that’s Hotei, so if I’m incorrect, it’s a good luck symbol. The fact that it’s carved in green jade exponentiates that energy even more, so looking for good fortune and good vitality, health, good health, healing, boosting health, boosting the immune system; green jade, you want to have that on hand.
5. Amethyst: While I’ve got several, I love my amethyst heart my husband got for me one year in Tucson. It’s an Uruguayan amethyst. I really like the energy of the Uruguayan amethyst. It’s got this really deep, deep, dark, purple, vibrant color. The energy is so much more effective from these deeply colored Uruguayan amethysts. The heart is carved from a geode and polished on the back.
Why did I choose amethyst? Amethyst is spiritually enhancing while also being spiritually protective. If you want to be spiritually protective or psychically protected for various reasons (that’s a different topic for a different day :)) or you just want to go into a healing session or a meditation session and just be spiritually protected while you’re doing that, then work with amethyst.
Amethyst also enhances the third eye, which helps you connect to your spiritual self, better connect to your own higher self, and have that stronger connection to your spiritual side; it enhances and invites that energy in. I like that it invites that energy in of being more spiritual, while also being very protective at the same time. It’s got the added benefit of also being very calming, so great to work with while meditating.
Amethyst helps you to focus more on your meditations if you have that monkey mind while meditating (I think we all do sometimes … who doesn’t? Except some of us who are very, very zen).
When I meditate with amethyst, the amethyst actually helps me to focus more on one thing while I’m meditating, whether I’m contemplating something specific or I just want to focus on my breath or sometimes I hold the amethyst and I just consider inhale, focus on the breath going in through the nostril, inhale, inhale, inhale, and then exhale, exhale, exhale. My brain just stays right there, doesn’t think about all the other to-dos and things that you got to do and oh, so and so is coming over. I’ve got to clean the house and wash the dishes and blah. All that stuff that happens during meditation, it just kind of floats away and allows your brain to accept the benefits of not thinking of all those things. Amethyst entrains with your energy so that you become calmer and become more of that frequency. You become a vibrational match to that frequency. That happens with any of the crystals that we’re working with. That’s the whole point in working with the crystals.
6. Black Tourmaline: The next one on my list is black tourmaline. These are not in order of importance or anything like that (except the first one, clear quartz, if I could only have one crystal, it would be that one, but the rest are not in any kind of specific order). In the video, I show you an especially nice, good quality piece of black tourmaline. It doesn’t need to be that kind of quality which is very difficult to find anymore. A lot of the black tourmaline mines have been closed. The specific mine that came out of in China has closed, so they no longer have it in the same quality. You would have to purchase from estate sales and it can be really pricey. The regular kind that you’re seeing out there these days is more spindly now. They’re more splintery and friable, meaning they’re more brittle, but they work just as effectively.
Black Tourmaline has lots of physics properties as a crystal goes. It’s pyroelectric. It’s piezoelectric, which means that it can polarize electricity and energy within it. I dove deep into that over on this blog post. It’s one of the reasons why I find it to be so effective.
It’s very good for transmuting energy, so if energy has a specific charge to it and it has a negative feel to it, black tourmaline is your go-to transmuter. It’s excellent for bringing that energy back to neutral. For that reason, it’s always in front of me between me and my laptop. I’m transmuting that electromagnetic radiation coming off of the laptop. I’ve tested other crystals and things and when I tested black tourmaline and I showed this in a YouTube video, I get good results. It’s not the best thing. It’s not going to completely mitigate that energy, but it’s one thing I can do to help mitigate it.
I don’t like using silicates on my desk for that purpose. I hear people say, “Oh, put a piece of fluorite, put a piece of selenite, put a piece of citrine in front of your laptop.” That’s a silicate and silicates amplify that energy. We use silicon chips in our electronics to make them work better, so I don’t want to amplify that energy. Anyway, let me get off my soapbox 😉 I go into that in my course, but we’re not talking about that right now, we’re talking about why black tourmaline is on my list.
I also like it for transmuting negative energy that people might bring into a space. When I used to work in a classroom, which I left in 2012 … I used to be a science teacher for those of you that don’t know. I was a science department head. Some people would come into the room and they were just a sheer joy and some people would come into the room and they’d suck the energy out of the space. Talk about energy vampires. There weren’t too many of those thankfully, but the black tourmaline was wonderful. I had them conspicuously placed throughout my space. Heck, I could get away with putting any rock in my room that I wanted to. I taught geology as part of my curriculum, so I could put anything I wanted and no one would question a thing. Black tourmaline was wonderful for that.
You can also make mojo kits and you can make room sprays with black tourmaline and all kinds of great stuff, so it’s on my top 10 list.
7. Smokey Quartz: I love the coffee hue to smokey quartz. Check out the one in my video, it’s not irradiated. It doesn’t have that black-gray hue that irradiated smoky quartz has. It’s from Namibia in Africa and it’s just a gorgeous specimen.
Smokey quartz is wonderful for detoxing, so detoxing of any sort. Maybe you did get affected by an energy vampire and you got home from wherever you were and you just feel it and you’re like “oh, my god…what just happened to me? I got energetically beat up”. Smokey quartz is your one to work with for those times because it’s going to detox you, detox that energy. It’s also a good one to put in water gem elixirs for bringing that detoxifying energy to your water.
8. Blue Calcite: Next one is blue calcite. If you just want a soft, gentle energy, blue calcite is wonderful to work with. If you want to bring peace and calm to a space, blue calcite. It’s a light blue. You can see the blue right there. It’s a very gentle energy and you if want to bring a spa-like atmosphere to a space go for a larger piece of blue calcite.
Blue calcite is relatively inexpensive, but it’s not one that you often find. If you go to your local crystal shop, you might need to request that they special order some blue calcite. If you go to a gem show, you might not necessarily find it because it’s not a top seller. People really don’t seek it out, but I think people are really missing out on a great energy.
Blue calcite is also wonderful for balancing anything in the body, balancing hormones, balancing energy in general. It’s also a great throat chakra stone for balancing the throat chakra. You want to bring that peace, calming energy.
Also, if you’re looking to create a connection during your meditations to the angels, blue calcite is your stone for that. I tried to pick stones that are good for several different things or for really important things that come up frequently in most of our lives. As I said, this is not the end-all-be-all list for every single one of us. Again, you can tell me in the comments if you think I’ve missed or you have others you would include on this list.
9. Hematite: You’ll often see polished hematite. And sometimes you can see the natural red of the hematite coming through, but when you polish it, it looks like a dark gray mirror. We learned how to determine if your hematite is natural in my Crystal Savvy class, those of you that took that class. You need to be careful out there, guys. There’s a lot of fake hematite floating around, a lot of it. Make sure you’re purchasing from someone who’s very knowledgeable, who has a great reputation, and even though some of them out there that have good online reputations are selling fakes we’ve discovered in my Crystal Savvy class, unfortunately, so get good recommendations. That’s all I’m saying.
Make sure that they are knowledgeable. Ask the seller how do you know it’s real hematite? See if they know how to test. If they know how to test, chances are they have tested or they’re going to know because you asked them and they’re going to find out if their hematite is real or not. Ask the questions. Put their feet to the fire and make them tell you how they are finding out if these crystals are real or not. I’m just saying that for this hematite because so much of the hematite out there is fake. If it’s magnetic, it’s fake.
Hematite is good for grounding and a lot of us right now, especially if we’re dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety, need the grounding, so we really need to focus on getting ourselves grounded, grounded to Mama Earth. Hematite is great for that.
Hematite is partly made of iron. That’s where the red in the hematite comes from. Iron is closely related to Mama Earth. We even have an iron-nickel core at the center, we think. Scientists speculate it’s probably in the shape of a dodecahedron and if you want to throw some sacred geometry into it and it makes that connection to the core of our planet. That’s why it’s so helpful at grounding us. It’s also great for balancing the root chakra at the base of our spine, so that’s the chakra you want to focus on when you’re looking to get grounded. Hematite is great for that grounding.
10. Congo Citrine: The last one on my list of top 10 is natural Congo citrine. Not any old citrine, natural Congo citrine.
Most of the citrine, (like I just said about the hematite) out on the market is fake. It’s baked. It’s baked amethyst. I used to say oh, don’t worry about it. It’s fine, but in the times that we’re in now and how our energy has changed and is changing on the planet, things have stepped up. We’re getting more cosmic energy to our planet than we have in any of our lifetimes. We know now the energy has stepped up.
We have UVC now. You know about that, UVC rays? We’ve always known about A and B, but now we have UVC rays. If you go out with a UV meter like I have and you go out and check the UV radiation we’re getting now, it’s higher than ever before. The reason for this is the corona around the Sun has shrunk because of the area we’re flying through in the Milky Way Galaxy. I know I’m going off tangent here, but I feel like I need to say this, so therefore, we are not getting as much protection from our Sun in our solar system. A lot more cosmic particles are getting past the Sun and hitting our planet, so a lot of things are happening.
The Sun is in a solar minimum right now. A lot of things are happening. A lot more energy is coming up to us, so, therefore, all that is to say I feel like we need to step up some of the crystals that we’re using, so, therefore, no more fake citrine for me. When I’m going to work with citrine, it’s going to be natural. I like the Congo energy because it has more of that citrine-specific vibrational frequency.
You’ll notice the color is a little bit more on the orange-yellow side than the citrine you find in Brazil, which is very yellow. It has more energy to it in the way that it was baked in Mama Earth. The Congo citrines are sometimes called cathedral libraries or they might be called abundance crystals because they have all these little babies along the base growing parallel to the parent crystal in the center. They are not easy to find. That’s why I said this list is a little bit more on the advanced side. These are not easy to find.
You definitely aren’t going to find them in tumbled stones. If someone’s telling you that they have natural Congo citrine tumbled stones, just whoop, turn and walk the other way because if you had real natural Congo citrine, which is quite expensive, why would you tumble it? You wouldn’t. These, even in a very beat-up state, all beat up and messed up and they’ve been tossed down the mountain, people will still sell them in their natural state because they are worth a lot.
Supply and demand are how economics works. The supply is very low. The area in the Congo where we used to get these from they’ve closed it off. The demand is very high. Therefore, the price is high. You’re not going to take it and tumble it. I’ve seen people selling tumbled Congo citrine. I’m going to say it…Bullshit. Please get your antennas up about that.
Natural Congo citrine, if you don’t have one in your collection, I suggest: start looking for one. Just have it on your radar. You don’t need to get one today. When you go to gem shows when you’re shopping online ask the sellers. Ask around, see who has one.
The reason why we want citrine in our collection is it’s wonderful for bringing in positive, good vibe energy, so if you’re feeling depression or seasonal affective disorder from too much winter. Citrine is great for giving you that sunny disposition, so if you’re missing some of that, you need some amplification of that energy, citrine is wonderful for that. Citrine is also known as the merchant stone because it’s wonderful for bringing in that prosperity energy. If you need to do better in business if you’re looking to do a crystal grid to increase your revenue or your paycheck or you’re looking for a new job or you’re looking to sell a house, anything to do with prosperity, citrine.
Tell me in the comments, I would love to hear from you did I miss any? Do you have these? Are there any that I should’ve swapped out, any that you’re missing?