Ahhh, Mercury Retro. Its become such a popular excuse that I began hearing it from my teenage science students (while I was still teaching science in the classroom) as an excuse for not turning homework! Whaaaa?
Seems the idea has become pretty popular.
Heck! When you’ve found it defined in the Urban Dictionary you know it’s grabbed a hold:
“A three week period in which the planet Mercury appears to be in backwards motion. During this time human beings experience many adverse effects, such as memory loss, loss of time, loss of items, loss of virginity, loss of common sense. As for technology many unexpected glitches occur during this time, such as software crashes and emails getting lost ”
OK…wait…what? “loss of virginity“? *shaking head*…moving on.
Before I get into the crystals, let’s discuss what this all means & where it comes from (except for the “loss of viriginity”…I’m not touching that 1).
First…let’s talk retrogrades
Oh…how I love to talk about space!! Science class in session!!
Retrograde refers to a planetary orbit around the Sun is seemingly going opposite of ours here on Earth. It’s like watching someone riding a merry-go-round from 1 fixed point. If you were just watching them from very far away (& had no idea what a merry-go-round was) it would seem like the person you were watching was traveling forward then backward then forward again.
Now, I can write about this here but really the best way to “get it” is to SEE it & since I don’t have my planetary orbit model here in hand, I’ll let StarWaders show you (works really well for visual minds):
Now Mercury isn’t the only planet to go retrograde. The other planets do it too & affect us as well. Mercury probably is the most well-known b/c it’s so close to the Sun & has the shortest orbit to travel so it ends up zipping round so quickly (hence those little wings on the depictions of the Roman God Mercury) that we end up with about 3 Mercury Retros a year, more than any other planet. No worries…we’ll get to the crystals for Mercury Retrograde soon.
Disclaimer here…I’m no astrologist. That is not my area of expertise at all but I do know the usual associations made with Mercury Retrograde; probably due to its speediness, Mercury is known as the messenger governing over communication of all sorts, which includes technology. This tiny planet is also known to influence travel, merchants, thieves & be a mischievous influence over all those things too.
So when is Mercury Retrograde? I always check here & I make sure to avoid all the items mentioned below (especially when embarking on something new) unless I’ve taken the correct precautionary measures.
There’s also a Mercury Retro app for that! Heeee!
The Usual Mercury Retro Warnings to Be Aware of
- No contracts! This is time that we’re supposed to avoid making any serious plans or agreements of any kind, no important meetings or legally binding documents.
- Be careful to communicate extra clearly during this time & throw in some extra patience, clarity & attention to detail during this time. Choose your words carefully. If you’re a Type A personality like me, now’s the time to let your Freak Flag Fly! It will benefit you for taking the extra time & energy to check the details.
- Be extra wary of all technology; emails & texts included. Stuffs seems to get lost, freeze up or just generally go berserk! Take the time to make sure that important stuffs did indeed get through.
- Make sure you & your other party are interpreting everything clearly…even in face to face convo’s. If you’re reading something more complex than usual & it’s important, make sure to read it over again & then have someone else double-check it for you.
Flip it Around
So all this sounds like a stressful time, doesn’t it? But it really doesn’t have to be at all. In fact, you can a flip your attitude about it onto its head!
I prefer to take this time to s-l-o-w it down. I try not to take on something HUGE at this time & not to release or launch a brand new program or course. I find this to be a GREAT time to restructure or reorganize something, do some gentle & supportive personal work. Re-Do Time & take your time. Laid back + zen; simply renew, revamp & redo!
As I always try to remember to remember myself…the only thing we have control over is our own reaction to whatever may occur. I choose how to respond. My applied energy & the energy of my created environment will entrain the energy within me & that of the energy of my current situation (& possibly that of the people involved in it too!) So what can we do?
Crystals for Mercury Retrograde
Here are some crystals & stones you can work with pre, during & post Mercury Retrograde:
Emerald – will help smooth communication & organize activities & plans
Blue lace agate – helps improve clear calm communication
Fluorite – balances thinking, improves concentrations, organizes thoughts; any color variety will work
Amazonite – harmony in communication
Aquamarine – enhances clear communication
Mercury Let-Go Rx
If you find yourself getting all stressed out by classic Mercury-Retro mishaps, remember to switch gears & use some of these ideas for letting go. If you have these tools ready to go when Mercury comes round to play the mischievous messenger, you’ll be able to think clearly in your zenified state & calmly resolve any possible disruptions or hiccups.
- Whip up a Mercury Let Go Gem Elixir Spray using an elixir from one of the above mentioned crystals (use a gem chip or 2 in the spray as well) along with a few drops of some relaxing organic essential oils such as lavender or ylang ylang.
- Write an affirmation on a slip of paper like “This is a time of renewal, review & revitalization” or “I am calm, cool, clear, & focused” & tuck into a little pouch with a few of the above stones. Mercury Retro Mojo Kit to the RESCUE!!
So, its OK. You’ve got this, Lima Bean!
P.S. If you have a particularly funny, crazy or just interesting Mercury Retro story or a good tip for us….please share in the comments below!