Fashion. What color is the new black now?
One day you’re in the next day you’re out. Pffft!
I don’t have time for that shizzle…I just grab the next t-shirt up for rotation in my drawer, match some bottoms to it, pair up some crystal jewelry I’m vibing with for the day & I’m good to go!
BUT today…I’m going to dabble in the fashion world again while I present my annual Color-of-the-Year video, where I match-up a crystal to Pantone’s Color of the Year!
- 2013: Emerald
- 2014: Radiant Orchid; Sugilite + Lepidolite
- 2015: Marsala; Rubilite + Ruby
This year Pantone made it more exciting because they chose two colors.
Drum roll please…
The colors of the year for 2016 are Serenity and Rose Quartz!
Rose Quartz + Serenity
The purpose of the color of the year is to “set the tone” for the coming year. Pantone has stated that the color they choose,
“has always been an integral part of how a culture expresses the attitudes and emotions of the times.”
Well…that’s a bit rich for my taste…but I think it’s safe to say it sets the direction & tone for fashion & style for the year…if you’re into that sort of thing.
So of course, yep…this is a whole marketing & branding thing for Pantone, but color is such a big part of the visual properties of crystals that I cannot help but jump onto this bandwagon!
Serenity is a beautiful sky blue color that’s a really light blue…almost bordering on lavender.
Now, I actually chose two crystals to embody the energy of the Serenity color.
Blue Lace Agate
Blue Lace Agate is a pale blue gorgeous “lacy” layered-looking type of agate; hence the name.
Agates are generally characterized by the bands that you’ll see in them. It’s actually a banded chalcedony; a quartz mass made up of submicroscopic quartz particles set up in fibrous layers (those are the bands you see) that also may have other inclusions giving it various colors.
Blue Lace Agate Characteristics
- a type of quartz, all agates are a type of quartz
- same Mohs Hardness as quartz; a 7, so it’s relatively hard. You’ll find them in jewelry & anything that can kind of withstand being worn a lot, ya know…that might get banged up or something or worn as a bracelet
- a throat chakra stone
- all about calm, gentle, serene energy, clarity
- Best for calm + clear communication, about finding your voice but in a very calm way
Calcites come in every color in the rainbow…pretty much. Plus, calcites as a group in general, are great for balancing hormones. If you want to know more about that, I have blog post that I wrote all about that here.
Blue Calcite Characteristics
- another throat chakra stone
- great for thyroid balancing (whether it’s hypo or hyper thyroid) because an out of whack thyroid has to do with hormone imbalances (please read my cautions & disclaimers here before using crystals on medical issues)
- spiritually calming + soothing as well as emotionally calming + soothing so it’s a great stone to meditate with
- Also enhances psychic ability & assists with astral travel
- 3 on the Mohs Hardness scale, so much softer than the Blue Lace Agate….meaning not a good idea for jewelry
The reason it’s so “soft” in comparison to quartz is b/c calcite is a Calcium Carbonate. Calcium carbonate is what the shells & hard parts of organisms are made of. Yeah…without our precious calcites most of Earth’s organisms would not even exist! That’s the reason why calcites are so abundant on our planet. So in this case, life giving rise to a crystal.
Rose Quartz feels like one of those crystals that we all know quite well. It’s 1 of the first ones that many of us purchase or that we’ve worked with or that we learn about. ❤ Am I right about that?
Rose Quartz Characteristics:
- a type of Quartz that almost always shows up in masses. (BUT…sometimes you’ll find rare very expensive pieces that do grow in points and…wow if you have one of those; hold on to that baby because it’s worth quite a bit, they’re very rare. *See photo below.*)
- Can vary in color, intensity and hue; sometimes they can be very deeply pink colored & sometimes they’re very pale so that they’re barely pink… and sometimes they’re right in between.
- Rose quartz is very abundant & come in big huge masses.
- The stone of love; all kinds of love, whether we’re talking about romantic love or love for family members, pets and friends, compassionate love or even self-love; this is the stone that encourages kindness, compassion and love of all sorts.♥
- Works very well with the heart chakra for emotional heart issues, spiritual heart issues as well as physical heart issues.
Rose Quartz is an all time sparkly fav & if you don’t have some in your collection, I highly recommend that you do get some.
[caption id="attachment_18466" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Examples of those SUPER-RARE natural rose quartz point clusters. Photo Credit: Rob Lavinsky, iRocks.com – CC-BY-SA-3.0 [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons[/caption]I hope you enjoyed this fun match up for Pantone’s color of the Year 2016: Serenity and Rose Quartz.
Do you have any of these stones in your crystal collection? OR do you have any other suggestions to match up with “Serenity”? I’d love to hear what you think of my picks in the comments below. 🙂